Conway Psychology

Forums

Forum Home > 4th quarter wiki discussions > Chapter 16 Abnormal Behavior

LaurenTotten

kevin karto at May 1, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Kevin Karto: After studying the various disorders there are I believe that if I was to suffer from one of them it would be Obsessive- Compulsive Disorder (OCD). I believe this because I’m the type of person that likes in order and it drives me crazy if they’re not. I also get a little nuts if my volume on my T.V or radio isn’t on an even number.

Well Kevin, I must say that I agree. Although I dont worry about my volume number I do worry about the locks around my house.

May 2, 2011 at 9:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelton

The disorder most consistent with my life would probably be anxiety. I am often in social situations that are slightly uncomfortable, and my body reacts by tensing up and getting warm. It's not nearly as serious as an actual panic attack, but I can get an idea of what that would feel like. Stressful situations and school work sometimes overwhelm me, and I just need to lay down and calm myself. I also get very irritable and sick when I have a lack of sleep, which basically makes me feel miserable.

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelton

Stephen Gold at May 1, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I feel that if I were to develop a Psychological disorder, I would be most susceptible to Major Depressive Disorder, or some form of Depression. The textbook describes depression as the"common cold of psychological disorders". I can see how it is common, stress and loss being as frequent in life as the can be. I believe, however, that I would be more prone to dysthymic disorder as opposed to major deprssion.While more mild, I can definitley see how I could be prone to it's symptoms of apathy and self esteem issues.

I could also be at risk of major depressive disorder. Not only does it run in my family, but I tend to dwell on things and let work pile up. The farther behind I get, the less likely I am to do anything about it. I can see this becoming feelings of hopelessness or apathy, two symptoms of depression.

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelby Adams

Megan at April 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Megan Donawa p.1

Knowing the personality and lifestyle I have, I would say I would most likely suffer from an anxiety disorder. More specifically a phobic disorder like OCD. It sounds really weird and completely irrelevant, but I have a huge problem using dishes that aren't made of plastic or paper. I have this constant worry that a real dish might be dirty, which makes me incredibly disgusted to the point where i have almost a panic attack. It's terrible when I go out to restaurants and can't help to use regular dishes. I'm most likely to get obsessive-compulsive disorder because the fear I have for regular dishes is completely irrational, but i still have persistent and repetitive thoughts that make me freak out.

I have almost the same phobic disorder with foods touching. I have an issue with liquids touching foods and foods that leave residue. Although many people believe that a huge filled plate with tons of food is delicious i on the other hand prefer to have everything on seperate plates and choose my foods wisley. I also have a fear of eating leftovers for fear that the reheated taste will not be the same. So i woudl say that i am also most liklely to get obsessive-compulsive disorder, because of the lingering thought.

May 2, 2011 at 10:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cheyenne clingerman

There are many different types of psychological disorders that people have to deal with. Out of all of them i believe i am at a higher risk to develop generalized anxiety disorder. This is defined as person who is continually tense, apprehensive, and in a state of autonomic nervous system arousal. I feel that i could develop this because tend to be unexplainably and continually tense and uneasy.

May 2, 2011 at 10:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cheyenne clingerman

Shelton at May 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM

The disorder most consistent with my life would probably be anxiety. I am often in social situations that are slightly uncomfortable, and my body reacts by tensing up and getting warm. It's not nearly as serious as an actual panic attack, but I can get an idea of what that would feel like. Stressful situations and school work sometimes overwhelm me, and I just need to lay down and calm myself. I also get very irritable and sick when I have a lack of sleep, which basically makes me feel miserable.

I agree with this to a certain extent. i believe that when your body s tensing from stress that is a sign of anxiety. Yet this feeling of being miserable could also be caused by your lack of sleep. this could also be a sign of panic disorder if your symptoms include chest pain or frightening sensations.

May 2, 2011 at 10:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kathryn kroll

Of all the disorders possible to develop I would have to say mine would be panic disorder; mostly because I dealt with it for over a year, and still sometimes have problems with it. My freshmen year when my dad has open heart surgery I went and saw him in the icu and seeing him upset me, but then the man next door had a code called on him and I watched him die through the class of his room. I didn’t feel anything until a few days later when I watched a man have a heart attack and I had my first panic attack(completely blue and couldn’t feel my fingers, toes and lips and threw up then passed out). After that every single time anything to do with the heart or medicine was mentioned I experienced the same thing. To make the story shorter, over a year later my dad went back to the hospital, but this time my mom was living in Virginia and I had to be the one there with him and to act strong so he wouldn’t be so afraid(implosion therapy?!). After that I basically haven’t had a true problem it. The only pieces left to even know there was a problem is when I’m falling asleep i have to count my breaths to make sure I don't just stop all together when I actually do fall asleep (strange fear huh?) and when I get prescribed medication I’ll sit on the computer for hours reading every bit of information i can to make sure it’s safe, and still usually make myself worked up over it. There are some other weird things of course but that’s what happens when psychological problems come up and anyway, it could be worse I could be drowning my 5 children or murdering 15 men then eating their bodies.

May 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

kathryn kroll

Ewic Snowden at April 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM

After reading the list of disorders im happy to announce that as far as possible from having any of the symptoms for any of the psychological disorders. Perhaps the closest disorder that i am in common with is a disorganized schizophrenic. my thoughts are moving by at 120,000 mph so my spoken words come out all jumbled up. I know that doesn't make me a disorganized schizophrenic but its the closest thing i can be ;b

Your thoughts go pretty fast! Like you said though that doesnt really make up schizophrenia entirely. You would need some crazy thoughts, speaking and catatonia maybe.

May 2, 2011 at 5:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.