Conway Psychology

Forums

Forum Home > 4th quarter wiki discussions > Chapter 16 Abnormal Behavior

k conway
Site Owner

Based on your type of personality and lifestyle, what type of psychological disorder would you be most prone or at a higher risk to develop?  (A list of disorders with their respective signs and symptoms can be found on pages 620-656)  Comment on the posting of at least one classmate.  Explain why you might be more susceptible to this type of disorder.

March 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Christina Coffee

Christina Coffee Per. 4

After viewing all of the possible disorders that I could develop I feel like a crazy person. But in all fairness when choosing a disorder that I truly could develop I would have to agree with panic disorder. Panic disorder is when a person experiences minute long sessions of extreme anxiety. Panic disorder is characterized by choking, chest pains,sweating, shaking, heart palpitations, and dizziness. I have chosen this one because I really do experience this disorder; not as regularly as I used to though. When I was a freshman, and the beginning of my sophomore year I would have the most terrifying panic attacks. They would come from no where and for no reason. I would sit there and not be able to focus on anything until it went away. I took a certain type of acne medication and my family believes that it was causing the panic attacks to occur. I have since changed medications and rarely suffer from them anymore, but when I did, it’s hard to explain how scary they were.

March 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dani Wallace

Based on my personality I believe that I would have a bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is when a person has mood swings between times of major depression to times of extreme mania, or extreme euphoric, hyperactive episodes. I have mood swings on a much less extreme level than people with bipolar disorder do, but I still have swings where I will be happy one minute and upset the next. Usually there's something that will trigger it, but sometimes I just become irritable for no particular reason, just as sometimes I am in a good mood for no particular reason. I think is may come about because of my conflicting personality traits, or it might just be hormones...

April 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Dani Wallace

Christina Coffee at March 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Christina Coffee Per. 4

After viewing all of the possible disorders that I could develop I feel like a crazy person. But in all fairness when choosing a disorder that I truly could develop I would have to agree with panic disorder. Panic disorder is when a person experiences minute long sessions of extreme anxiety. Panic disorder is characterized by choking, chest pains,sweating, shaking, heart palpitations, and dizziness. I have chosen this one because I really do experience this disorder; not as regularly as I used to though. When I was a freshman, and the beginning of my sophomore year I would have the most terrifying panic attacks. They would come from no where and for no reason. I would sit there and not be able to focus on anything until it went away. I took a certain type of acne medication and my family believes that it was causing the panic attacks to occur. I have since changed medications and rarely suffer from them anymore, but when I did, it’s hard to explain how scary they were.

That sounds very distressing, though I am glad that you don't expierence them as often. I can say that I understand how scary they are, because I have expirenced panic attacks. Though, I am a little suprised an acne medicine would be the cause. I wonder if there was some ingredient in it that caused it. I wouldn't mind doing a little bit a research on that; maybe it's causeing the same thing for other people...

April 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tera

Based on my personality, i believe i'm more likely to develop a mood disorder such as depression. I  believe this not only because depression is such a commonality now, but also  because one of the symptoms of a depressed person is feeling "unmotivated and inactive,"(pg 635) At times i find myself feeling  very unmotivated to do something that just a few months ago i would have done in a heartbeat, no complaints. Another symptom is depressed people are very sensitive to negative outcomes, i am a pretty sensitive person when something doesn't go my way, and normally in that situation, others don't respond with the same somber attitude as i present. I also believe i could develop this disorder because even thought there's no proven depressed gene, i've had several relatives suffer from depression and i feel it can be inherited if not genetically then enviromentally.

April 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

tera

Dani Wallace at April 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Based on my personality I believe that I would have a bipolar disorder. Bipolar disorder is when a person has mood swings between times of major depression to times of extreme mania, or extreme euphoric, hyperactive episodes. I have mood swings on a much less extreme level than people with bipolar disorder do, but I still have swings where I will be happy one minute and upset the next. Usually there's something that will trigger it, but sometimes I just become irritable for no particular reason, just as sometimes I am in a good mood for no particular reason. I think is may come about because of my conflicting personality traits, or it might just be hormones...

Hopefully its just hormones! i think that your mood swings are completely acceptable though if something triggers these mood swings, obviously you can be extremely happy at one instant that you aced a quiz and sad the next if someone picks on you, but i think its safe to say you won't be diagnosed with this disorder any time soon!:)

April 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewic Snowden

After reading the list of disorders im happy to announce that as far as possible from having any of the symptoms for any of the psychological disorders. Perhaps the closest disorder that i am in common with is a disorganized schizophrenic. my thoughts are moving by at 120,000 mph so my spoken words come out all jumbled up. I know that doesn't make me a disorganized schizophrenic but its the closest thing i can be ;b

April 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ewic Snowden

Dani Wallace at April 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Hahaha i definitely think that you along with every other psychology student has similar, if not the same, mood swings throughout the day depending on contributing factors AND hormones.

April 21, 2011 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hailey Floyd

Based on my personality type, I believe that I could develop depression. I get spontaneous feelings of irritability, sadness, and I get very pessimistic. It is no where near as long as a person with major depressive disorder, which lasts for a solid two weeks. It typically just comes and goes anywhere from an hour to a day, depending on if there are any outside factors. But they generally come for no reason. I'll be perfectly content one minute, and then just get sad and irritable the next. And if there are outside factors, it is a lot more difficult to get out of that depressed state of mind.

April 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Hailey Floyd

tera at April 19, 2011 at 4:07 PM

Based on my personality, i believe i'm more likely to develop a mood disorder such as depression. I  believe this not only because depression is such a commonality now, but also  because one of the symptoms of a depressed person is feeling "unmotivated and inactive,"(pg 635) At times i find myself feeling  very unmotivated to do something that just a few months ago i would have done in a heartbeat, no complaints. Another symptom is depressed people are very sensitive to negative outcomes, i am a pretty sensitive person when something doesn't go my way, and normally in that situation, others don't respond with the same somber attitude as i present. I also believe i could develop this disorder because even thought there's no proven depressed gene, i've had several relatives suffer from depression and i feel it can be inherited if not genetically then enviromentally.

I definitely agree with your opinion that depression can come from the environment you're in. Being around someone that is depressed always makes me feel the same way. I also have family that suffers from depression and it's hard to be around them when they're at their low and not feel pessimistic and unmotivated as well.

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MARTINOOO

Trae Martino P.4

There are tons of psychological disorders out there and there are many people with them, but based on my personality and lifestyle I feel like the the diorder I would be most likely to aquire would be the generalized anxiety disorder. This is a disorder in which a person is continually tense, apprehensive, and in a state of autonomic nervous system arousal. Usually I find myself stressing over the things in my life which could very easily lead to anxiety

April 23, 2011 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MARTINOOO

Ewic Snowden at April 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM

After reading the list of disorders im happy to announce that as far as possible from having any of the symptoms for any of the psychological disorders. Perhaps the closest disorder that i am in common with is a disorganized schizophrenic. my thoughts are moving by at 120,000 mph so my spoken words come out all jumbled up. I know that doesn't make me a disorganized schizophrenic but its the closest thing i can be ;b

Eric, I like how you were completely honest and youre absolutely right. Thinking about alot does not make you a disorganized schizophrenic!

April 23, 2011 at 10:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brandy Bigbie

Based on my personality type and lifestyle, I have concluded that bipolar disorder is the type of psychological disorder I could be most prone to developing. Like a person diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I sometimes alternate between a depressed and manic state, but not as serious. I find myself becoming overtalkative and hyper but very easily irritated. Little things would agrivate me more than usual and I tend to become extremely "moody". Although this most often occurs when I haven't gotten a lot of sleep, this could represent the manic episode of bipolar disorder.

@ Dani Wallace at April 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from and what you mean. I also find myself becoming irritable for no particular reason and tend to express my irritability on my family and boyfriend for no reason. When they ask me why i'm mad, i don't even know why, I just am. I hope it is just teenage hormones because I don't like being "moody" for no reason.

April 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan

Megan Donawa p.1

Knowing the personality and lifestyle I have, I would say I would most likely suffer from an anxiety disorder. More specifically a phobic disorder like OCD. It sounds really weird and completely irrelevant, but I have a huge problem using dishes that aren't made of plastic or paper. I have this constant worry that a real dish might be dirty, which makes me incredibly disgusted to the point where i have almost a panic attack. It's terrible when I go out to restaurants and can't help to use regular dishes. I'm most likely to get obsessive-compulsive disorder because the fear I have for regular dishes is completely irrational, but i still have persistent and repetitive thoughts that make me freak out.

April 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Megan

Hailey Floyd at April 21, 2011 at 10:34 PM

Based on my personality type, I believe that I could develop depression. I get spontaneous feelings of irritability, sadness, and I get very pessimistic. It is no where near as long as a person with major depressive disorder, which lasts for a solid two weeks. It typically just comes and goes anywhere from an hour to a day, depending on if there are any outside factors. But they generally come for no reason. I'll be perfectly content one minute, and then just get sad and irritable the next. And if there are outside factors, it is a lot more difficult to get out of that depressed state of mind.

Megan Donawa p.1

I agree with Hailey because I have the same feelings sometimes as well. I agree that it's definitely no where near major depressive disorder, but the feelings do come once in a while evem though they don't last too long.

April 24, 2011 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelby Yant

From the disorders provided, I would say that I am not more prone to one PSYCHOLOGICAL disorder over another, but I am unfortunately very prone to a disease that is very much like schizophrenia, called dementia, which is linked to Alzheimer's Disease. Dementia is very similar to schizophrenia in that it causes delirium and other cognitive problems. Dementia, as opposed to schizophrenia that occurs over one's lifetime, begins to emerge late in life, around the mid-70's. Both my great grandmother and grandmother have had (and have) Alzheimer's Disease, which is almost identical to dementia, thus is paired with the disease.

April 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelby Yant

From the disorders provided, I would say that I am not more prone to one PSYCHOLOGICAL disorder over another, but I am unfortunately very prone to a disease that is very much like schizophrenia, called dementia, which is linked to Alzheimer's Disease. Dementia is very similar to schizophrenia in that it causes delirium and other cognitive problems. Dementia, as opposed to schizophrenia that occurs over one's lifetime, begins to emerge late in life, around the mid-70's. Both my great grandmother and grandmother have had (and have) Alzheimer's Disease, which is almost identical to dementia, thus is paired with the disease.

April 25, 2011 at 7:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelby Yant

Ewic Snowden at April 21, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Eric, that's great! I know exactly what you mean by that, it happens to me all the time. It really makes for some awkward conversations :P

April 25, 2011 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brianne Lewis

Based on my personality I was most likely aquire an anxiety disorder such as a panic disorder. A panic disorder is marked my long episodes of intense dread where a person experience mintues of fear, terror, chest pain, choking, and sometimes even more uncontrollable fearful sensations. I think I have a slight form of a panic disorder already. I have a extreme fear of spiders and snakes! If eve placed around them for a period of time I can feel myself starting to tense up. It takes off all my concentration to where it is all that I am thinking about.

April 25, 2011 at 9:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Brianne Lewis

Brandy Bigbie at April 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Based on my personality type and lifestyle, I have concluded that bipolar disorder is the type of psychological disorder I could be most prone to developing. Like a person diagnosed with bipolar disorder, I sometimes alternate between a depressed and manic state, but not as serious. I find myself becoming overtalkative and hyper but very easily irritated. Little things would agrivate me more than usual and I tend to become extremely "moody". Although this most often occurs when I haven't gotten a lot of sleep, this could represent the manic episode of bipolar disorder.

@ Dani Wallace at April 14, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I completely understand where you are coming from and what you mean. I also find myself becoming irritable for no particular reason and tend to express my irritability on my family and boyfriend for no reason. When they ask me why i'm mad, i don't even know why, I just am. I hope it is just teenage hormones because I don't like being "moody" for no reason.

I have fee the same way at times when I get a lack of sleep. My moods alters in various ways. Sometimes it is also if I become irritated wth someone or something else. What helps me when my mood swings strike, is to sit down and take a calm and quiet moment to myself to breath and let everything out. It really helps a lot! :)

-Brianne Lewis

April 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.