Conway Psychology

Forums

Forum Home > 4th quarter wiki discussions > Topic 2: Personality

Mikhial Billquist

I would have to agree with the Social-Cognitive perspective. I don't believe my traits are based off of five main categories, but that there are specific traits for certain environments and certains groups of people. Depending on the situation i'm in, my personality changes to suit my environment. Obviously, the things I do or say around friends probably wouldn't be acceptable around my parents or around teachers. While there are things that are consistent, such as my humorous and laid-back attitude, there are large discrepancies. While
I am naturally a humorous person, my humor is completely different when i'm around my friends than whem i'm around authority figures.  Also, my attitude when i'm at a party is completely different than my attitude at school.

May 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mikhial Billquist

Shelby Adams at May 2, 2011 at 9:22 AM

To describe my personality i would use the social cognitive perspective. I believe that my personality is not determined by five main traits , but traits which have developed because of my enviroment. I have developed personality based apon my interaction with people and their ideals: for example learning to drive a car, my friends have cars so i want to learn to drive cars. It was not a predisposition of mine to want to learn that behavior. I am learning to drive a car in drivers ed therefore it shapes my behavior into being physically able to drive a car. My internal cognitive factors include : practicallity of being able to drive myself, the time it would save my parents, the saftey risks i would have to endure , and the responsibility i would take on. These factors are all determined by the enviormental factors of learning to drive a car , not pre-conditioned or universal.

I would have to agree with your view on this topic. I don't believe that a person's personality is determined by just five traits. People's personalities are determined by many different factors, such as friends, environment, and mood.

May 2, 2011 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Shelby Adams

Kaydee Penn at March 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Kaydee Penn PD 4

After reviewing the trait perspective and social-cognitive perspective, I found that my personality best entails the social-cognitive perspective. I believe that environmental factors as well as some genetic predisposition have had an influence on who I am.  For example, my father is bi-polar but I am not.  From being bi-polar his mood changes quickly and he has the tendency to personalize many situations.  Which agrees with the social-cognitive perspective in the sense that personality is not only an outcome of genetic predisposition. 

I agree with the statement that not all personality is genitic , that is why i also labeled myself as social cognitive. I act a feel diffrently than my parents do. I believe this is because my generation and peers have new , changing ideals just as the techonolgy and popular culture changes throughout the years. What was socially acceptable then is not now. So i do not understand how all personality can be based on genetics. :)

May 2, 2011 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cheyenne clingerman

i would have to say the social cognitive perspective would define my personality. This is because my behavior is greatly influenced by my environment. the reason i do most of the things i do is because someone else before me did it and i tend to see it as cool or an achievement. when i try to achieve, i try to get examples from my environment to perform these tasks.

May 2, 2011 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

cheyenne clingerman

Mikhial Billquist at May 2, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I would have to agree with the Social-Cognitive perspective. I don't believe my traits are based off of five main categories, but that there are specific traits for certain environments and certains groups of people. Depending on the situation i'm in, my personality changes to suit my environment. Obviously, the things I do or say around friends probably wouldn't be acceptable around my parents or around teachers. While there are things that are consistent, such as my humorous and laid-back attitude, there are large discrepancies. While
I am naturally a humorous person, my humor is completely different when i'm around my friends than whem i'm around authority figures.  Also, my attitude when i'm at a party is completely different than my attitude at school.

i agree that your laid back personality does reflect the social-cognitive perspective. you probably act this way to gain accaptence therefore your actions are produced by your environment. especially if you act differently in different environmental situations.

May 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.