Conway Psychology

Forums

Forum Home > 4th quarter wiki discussions > Topic 1: Emotion

Dani Wallace

Cassie Wright at May 1, 2011 at 9:14 PM

Have you ever found yourself just in a bad mood angry or upset and you just don’t know why? Or finally decided to ask out that person you’ve been hanging out with, only to actually see them and feel your stomach start flipping or your palms sweating and realize that you’re beyond nervous? That’s Lazarus and Schachter’s theories at work. Both theories are true enough but it all depends on the situation at hand. Changing the thinking and emotional response is different for both of these theories. Schachter’s two-factor theory is more based on environmental factors to the emotional reaction. If having grown up to everyone acting a certain way when a specific stimulus happen, I don’t think we really have much choice as to what can be changed in our emotional reactions. Sweaty palms will always equal nervousness, tears always equate to sadness in the eyes of our society; that’s just how we were all raised and that’s what everyone has learned. However Lazarus’ theory isn’t easy to change either, depending on the personality of the person in question wishing to change. Lazarus’ is more of a perception change that anything. If our attitude is negative then everything we process consciously and unconsciously will be just as negative. Imagine getting in a fight with your best friend then having to go to class only to receive a test back that you completely flunked, this person is more likely to be even more upset than someone who was in a good mood previously. With Lazarus’ theory it’s a simple as a more optimistic outlook. :)

You have some good examples. i like the way you took a lesson from a psychology class, and applied it something that we expirence everyday. It really does matter what your outlook on something is. Like you gave the example that you're going to ask someone out and you get nervous, and your palm sweat, stomach flips, etc. But that only happens when you start to fear rejection. If you are 100% confident that he is going to say yes to you, then you wouldn't expirience all of the physical reactions of being nervous.

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LaurenTotten

Schachter'sand Lazarus' theories of emotion are very similar. According to thier theories emotions are displayed by how we interpret situations. People view different circumstances based off their differences in thinking, the same as the way people emotionally react to different situations. When someone is thinking in a positive manner a they will most likely react to a stimulus with positive emotions, just as someone with negative thoughts would react negatively to a stimulus. For example, if someone saw a cockroach but they knew that they were harmless they would just be on their way and not freak out. On the other hand though if someone who was afraid of them saw one it would be a different story. Also emotions are strongly influenced by the mood that you are in, when asked to do a task in a bad mood someone would react more negatively than they would in a better mood where they would probably react more positively. For example, if I was in a really bad mood and someone asked me to do them a favor I would most likely say no just because I was in a bad mood. Then again if I was in a good mood I would be more than happy to help anyone out.

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

LaurenTotten

kevin karto at May 1, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Kevin Karto: Schacters’ and Lazarus’ theories are similar in ways. Like how both believe that cognition is needed in emotions and in how interpretation brings up emotions. People can change emotions in my opinion. People’s mood also plays a part in what emotion they show. If a person in a good mood bumps into someone in a lunch or something like that they would most likely be apologetic and sorry, but if they were in a bad mood they may get into a fight. So basically if a person is positive their mood would be positive emotion and vice versa .

I know exactly where you're coming from. Thats pretty much what I put, generally the same idea.

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

kathryn kroll

To begin with, I dont think I could ever change my cognitive thinking! Unconcious thinking is so hard to control and thoughts can pop up into my head no matter how many time I try and "repress" them. That is one of the reasons I'm not sure I believe that people can actually block memories from apearing and thoughts from surfacing, unles the person has post traumatic stress disorder, that I can fully believe in. If I was able to do that superhero feat of changing my thoughts to change emotions I would start with school work and tests. I would tell myself "This test will be so easy and you will get an A for sure, you're just so smart!" and my emotion would change from stress and nervousness to calm and relaxed. No more off the charts craziness when too many homework assignments are due the next day. Next I would change my thoughts of the ocean from "Wow shark capital of the USA and I'm swimming with it? That's it I'm going to get eaten." Into a rational thought such as "It rarely happens and there's a sandbar out front of your house where you swim they couldnt get there anyway!" I'd basically change every anxiety producing thought into a calm and care-free one.

May 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.